Nationwide Anesthesia Services, Inc. offers introductory answers to frequently asked questions about working locum tenens, permanent placement, and the staffing services that we provide to facilities and group practices throughout the country. Click on a subject heading below to view questions and answers relating to your interests. Links throughout this section will guide you to additional information on our website or from other sources.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Getting Started
To get started you will need to complete and return our brief locum tenens CRNA or MD application and clinical skills checklist along with clear copies of the following: a detailed and current resume or CV showing education and all former employment; your state licenses; your malpractice binder showing policy limits and effective dates of coverage (if you have your own policy; if not, agency can provide); BLS, ACLS, PALS, and/or NALS cards if you’re certified; at least four (4) letters of reference, or the reference inquiry forms included with our application; Social Security card; and driver’s license.

CRNAs should also provide copies of their CRNA certification/recertification card; AANA membership card; and all diplomas/certificates from Nursing and Anesthesia School.

Anesthesiologists should provide copies of their DEA Certificate; Board Certification, if applicable; and all diplomas/certificates from Medical School, Internship, Residency, and Fellowship, if applicable.

Most hospitals also require proof of current immunization records against hepatitis, measles, mumps, rubella, and rubeola, as well as a recent TB/PPD skin test. We recommend, at minimum, obtaining a PPD test showing results within the last 9 months.

Download our locum tenens application and reference inquiry forms.

Most CRNAs and Anesthesiologists who work locum tenens on a full–time basis carry at least 5 state licenses. We recommend at least one to two licenses from states bordering the state in which you reside, and two to three state licenses in the so–called “high volume areas”. High volume areas are the Southeastern, Midwest and Northeastern states. Call us at any time for a current list of high volume states, as they do change throughout the year and according to market trends.

One of the most important things you can do as a locum tenens CRNA or Anesthesiologist is keep us up–to–date when you acquire new licenses.

As a CRNA applying for a new license, be sure to let the nursing board know you are a CRNA, and that you will need the Advanced Practice application as well as the RN application.

We also advise that you request temporary licensure along with the permanent license, as permanent licensure usually requires verification from your original state of licensure and verification of transcripts from the AANA, which can be much more time–consuming than the temporary licensure process.

A Nurse Licensure Compact has been implemented in forty one (41) states, allowing a nurse to have one license (in his/her state of residency) and to practice in other Compact states under a system of mutual recognition. At present, the Compact only applies to RN licensure, so a CRNA would still be required to obtain an Advanced Practice license in each Compact state where he/she intends to work.

As of January 2024, the Compact states are Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Virgin Islands, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. For more information about the Nurse Licensure Compact, contact the National Council on State Boards of Nursing.

Most CRNAs working locum tenens on a full–time basis (46 weeks per year) are earning an average annual 1099 income in excess of $350,000 to $400,000. This amount is based on an average of 40 hours per week at rates of $190 to $250 per hour*, plus $30 per day meals stipend each day on assignment.

By taking call and working overtime, many locum tenens CRNAs working for our agency are earning well over this amount per year. In addition, lodging and travel expenses are provided for each assignment.

Most of our assignments guarantee an 8–hour minimum per day. If you are required to take call on a weeknight, you will earn the equivalent of one hour as a call fee, plus the hourly rate for any call–back time worked. If you take call on a weekend or holiday, the call fee will be the equivalent of an 8–hour minimum, plus the hourly rate for any call–back time worked in excess of 8 hours.

*Per hour rates range from $190 to $250, depending on the practice and location.

As an independent contractor/locum tenens CRNA or Anesthesiologist, you will be responsible for your own malpractice, health, disability, Worker’s Compensation, life, and dental insurance, as well as any AANA, ASA or other professional dues, CME expenses, state licensing fees, and any Federal, State or local tax obligations.

Many CRNAs and Anesthesiologists just starting to work locum tenens choose to utilize Cobra health benefits if applicable, which can be purchased for up to 18 months following employment.

We also recommend that you contact an insurance broker in your local area for a quote for health, life, dental and disability insurance, as Cobra coverage is only a short–term option and is usually more expensive than obtaining coverage on your own.

The average health insurance policy costs approximately $15,000 to $25,000 per year for family coverage, and $5,000 to $6,000 for individual coverage.

Disability insurance costs approximately $5,000 to $10,000 per year for a policy paying 60% of your salary with a 90–day waiting period. Pre–existing conditions can greatly affect the cost of insurance premiums.

Most clients will not require you to provide proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance as you are considered an independent contractor.

As an independent contractor, you will be responsible for your own malpractice coverage. We recommend obtaining a malpractice policy with limits of at least $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate.

For those of you who plan to work in the state of Virginia, you will need a policy with limits of at least $2,600,000 per occurrence/$7,800,000 aggregate.

For information about CRNA coverage through AANA, contact AANA Insurance Services at 800–343–1368.

When you are on assignment with Nationwide Anesthesia Services, if you do not have your own policy, we can provide malpractice coverage through our agency for a fee based on hours worked, with an 8–hour minimum per day. Keep in mind, though, that if you work as a locum tenens more than 26 weeks per year, it will be more cost–effective for you to purchase your own policy.

The growth in the locum tenens and permanent market for anesthesia providers has been exponential in the last two years. Locum tenens CRNAs are currently earning between $170 to $200 per hour plus expenses. Locum tenens Anesthesiologists are currently earning between $250 to $325 per hour plus expenses. The overall market for locum tenens should remain strong for the next 5 to 10 years.

Assignments can vary from one day to months, even up to several years. The average length of assignment for our locum tenens anesthesia providers is 90 days or longer. We also offer one– and two–week assignments to anesthesia providers that currently have full–time jobs and are looking to make extra money.

Most clients provide lodging comparable to Holiday Inn or better. If you are working a long–term assignment (30 days or more), our clients will usually provide lodging at a fully furnished apartment or some type of suite hotel such as “Extended Stay” or “Mainstay Suites”.

Many full–time locum tenens anesthesia providers are now choosing to travel and stay in their RVs. Should you utilize an RV, Clients will often reimburse you what they would normally pay for an apartment or hotel.

Many people choose to travel with their pets. This is generally not a problem, but you may be responsible for paying additional pet deposits or costs associated with lodging your pet. Please let us know prior to your assignment that you will be traveling with a pet, and we will make arrangements for your animal.

If you are scheduled for a long–term assignment and plan to take vacation or CME time off during the assignment, please let us know in advance. Your notification will allow us time to find short–term coverage for you during your absence. In addition, please let the Chief CRNA or Chief of Anesthesia on assignment know of your request to be off so that the facility can plan accordingly.